In July 1957, the members of what was then District 60 (Hokkaido and the following six prefectures form Tohoku: Gunma, Tochigi, Miyagi, Saitama, Chiba and Tokyo) were merged into District 350, while the remaining seven prefectures, as well as Yamanashi and Kanagawa, became District 355.
In 1961, the Districts ware re-apportioned so that District 355 included the prefectures of Niigata, Gunma, Tochigi and Miyagi; In 1971 Niigata and Gunma became District 365.
In 1977, the numbering of districts was changed so that District 365 became district 256.
In 1991, each district was given a 4-digit number, so that District 256 became District 2560.
After that, Gunma prefecture split from District 2560 to form District 2840, and Niigata prefecture inherited the former number of District 2560.
The District consists of all regions of Niigata prefecture, represented by 56 individual Rotary Clubs and 2,022 Rotarians (as of December 2013).